Re: [ft-devel] Variable fonts: hhea/typo/win metrics interpreted differe

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Variable fonts: hhea/typo/win metrics interpreted differently for instances compared to static fonts?
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 16:23:14 +0000

The thinking within the working group was that no one uses win metrics, so we didn't encode their variations. Indeed, the only time one uses them these days is if typo and hhea metrics are not set...

But MVAR tags for win metrics exist?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/mvar#value-tags

'hcla'  horizontal clipping ascent      OS/2.usWinAscent
'hcld'  horizontal clipping descent     OS/2.usWinDescent

Or are they specifically for clipping avoidance and should never modify line metrics? Then the code should be removed anyway from the MVAR apply function. I see in the HB code you linked that you use the typo metrics if the typo bit is set and hhea metrics otherwise. I can find no mention of win* metrics in the codebase. Should FreeType behave similarly? I.e.

1. If OS/2 table exists and typo bit is on, use typo metrics
2. Otherwise, use hhea metrics
3. Unless they are zero, then use typo metrics. If they are zero as well, so be it.
(4. Always ignore win metrics)

The comment given in sfobjs.c:1662 says that some ARIALNB.ttf has typo metrics set to zero. So, not sure about 4., maybe only for static fonts?

I'm in a bit of a bind with Cantarell, as I already released a version that ships with GNOME and does not have the typo bit set. Grr. I guess I need to look into how to make GTK or whatever add line gap somewhere or change the metrics around...