Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 11:00:57 -0500

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:35 AM Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 9:08 AM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > I struggle to get your attention to FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap.
>>
>> I just discovered that, while ignoring the FT_Glyph abstraction in the
>> current implementation, we also disregard FreeType caching system, see
>> FTC_ImageCache_Lookup. This is just lovely but please continue your
>> arguments against fire-walling FT_Render_Glyph from accessing FT_Face.
>

> I don't understand what you mean; if you're being sarcastic or not.  But
> FreeType caching system does not solve any problem for the systems I know.
> It's at best useful only for small clients for single-threaded use.

If I suggested removing FT_Glyph and FreeType caching, that would be
sarcastic. I just demonstrating how poorly the current implementation
is thought out. It is a hack, nowhere near an integrated solution. I
am also offering a path forward by implementing a dedicated BGRA
renderer which would accept merged outlines tagged with color and/or
layer index. We can discuss how to call the renderer without any
references to FT_Face.