[ft-devel] Variable fonts: hhea/typo/win metrics interpreted differently

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: [ft-devel] Variable fonts: hhea/typo/win metrics interpreted differently for instances compared to static fonts?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 21:32:55 +0000

Hi list,
I'm trying to turn Cantarell into a VF and am hitting a hhea/typo/win metrics issue: the metrics seem to be interpreted differently for the VF instances compared to the static fonts an I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. The instances look as if their baseline was shifted upwards relative to the static fonts. Equalizing hhea and typo metrics makes the difference go away.

Here's a screenshot of the baseline difference: https://github.com/googlei18n/fontmake/issues/492#issuecomment-447760311

Here are the three static masters and the resulting VF: https://github.com/googlei18n/fontmake/issues/492#issuecomment-448005088

(Note that the Regular serves as the master for various fields, e.g. the "Use Typo Metrics" bit. Toggling it does not help.)

This happens on master and on 2.9.1. Am I overlooking something?