Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:51:27 -0500

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:28 PM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
> As long as adding FT_LOAD_COLOR will get COLR/CPAL glyphs rendered into the bitmap, cairo/Chrome will work fine and I have no problem with that.

This is just unfair. FreeType is not paid by or owned by Google.

Did I imply that it is?

You started to use unreleased features.

FT_LOAD_COLOR has been FreeType public API since 2013.

Also Google did not contribute that code.

It actually did :).

This is wrong to pose such demands!

No.  It's perfectly natural to ask that new color formats continue working with existing color API.

> That said, my hunch is that the proposed change breaks glyphs with consecutive overlapping layers of same color, as the proposed change will render them in same go, mixing their winding numbers.

That is substantive. This would only create a problem if the layers
follow opposite convention: one fills to the left, one fills to the
right, i.e. it will break broken glyphs.

Those glyphs are not broken according to any standard.

> Also, I was specifically referring to Alexei's work, which from where I seat, often looks like "optimize math in X", "optimize math in Y", many times without testing the code involved.

Again I am not paid by Google.

That's irrelevant.  It's good software engineering practice to test code you change.

to follow some arbitrary rules.

Testing software is not some arbitrary rule. :)

But thank you for testing.

> I should not be called obnoxious for demanding that code that is changed be tested.  Or rather, code that is not tested not be changed.

Stop rolling with git head then.

It's not about me rolling with git head or not.  FreeType is used on over a billion devices.  If I don't run git head and don't report bugs, they just come back later when they are rolled to many more people.   You might not care.  Fortunately you are not FreeType maintainer.  Werner knows better.