Re: [ft-devel] Bad index layout in API documentation

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bad index layout in API documentation
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 23:40:36 +0530

Hi,

have a look at the attached image of

  https://www.dxdy.ooo/freetype-web-jekyll/docs/reference/ft2-index/

This is with Chrome 67 on my GNU/Linux box at a size of 100%.

It seems that you have to change from three columns to two.  Or maybe
only one column?  And a navigation help for starting letters `A', `B',
`C', etc.?

Yes, three columns look too cluttered. I'll change it to maybe a single column
and add headings for starting letters, so they show up as navigation in the
right column. This should also simplify the markdown file for the index.

There is another problem with the index sort: Right now,
`fallback-script' comes after `FTC_ScalerRec', this is, uppercase
letters are sorted before lowercase.  I consider this unfortunate,
since this is not the sorting I expect.  Can you implement something
like a simplified Unicode collation algorithm
(cf. http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/), e.g.,

      Level  Description      Examples
      L1     Base characters  role < roles < rule
      L2     Accents          role < rôle < roles
      L3     Case/Variants    role < Role < rôle
      L4     Punctuation      role < “role” < Role

as shown in TR10?

In the API docs, there isn't any non-latin characters and accents, so using
the Unicode collation algorithm completely (implementing or as a library)
might be too much but I will implement the basic sorting rules.

I'm not completely sure why "role < Role < rôle" but I don't think this is
important for docwriter.

--
Nikhil