Re: [ft-devel] GF + TFM

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GF + TFM
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 18:01:27 +0200 (CEST)

>> the next step is `attaching' a TFM file to GF (and later on to PK),
>> i.e., providing the internal code for `FT_Attach_File' and
>> `FT_Attach_Stream' so that GF's metric data gets completed.  Any
>> estimate when you are done with this?
>
> I don't think that would be necessary,

It is *absolutely* necessary.  GF/TFM (and PK/TFM) are *always* to be
used in tandem!

> as `Vflib' already switched from using a TFM file for `gf' and `pk'
> formats, and also `gftype' does not use a TFM file.  So why do we
> need to implement this?

As your `ftview' snapshot clearly demonstrates, GF fonts don't contain
metrics – the glyphs `jump' vertically.  In particular, a glyph
normally has a height, a depth, and a typographic width.  The GF data
does neither contain the height nor the depth; it only holds the bbox
and the width.  Only with the TFM data you can align the glyphs
vertically to sit on the baseline.

The GF fonts also lack some metadata like the slant of the font or the
width of a (normal) space.

BTW, `gftype' is a GF dumper, nothing else; it doesn't show how to use
GF fonts correctly.

> `vf' fonts are required to use TFM files for metric information and
> I am going to implement the required functions for this.

Please finish the GF + TFM combo first.

>> And what about making GF loading the bitmaps on demand only?
>>

> Yes, it has been already done.

Great!  Will have a look soon.