Re: [ft-devel] Browsing API docs locally, and other updates

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Browsing API docs locally, and other updates
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 22:16:59 +0200 (CEST)

> I was looking at how browsing the docs locally would work. With the
> current configuration, running `make refdoc` with markdown docs will
> produce the following tree in the `docs/reference' directory: [...]
>
> There are a few things to consider:
>
> * As clearly seen in the tree, MkDocs creates a directory for each
>   markdown `file', which is OK for a website, but creates a problem
>   for local browsing.

If I understand corrrectly, this is no longer a problem, right?

> * I have updated the site to the latest commit (7915fd51f). Most
> problems with incorrect markdown parsing and formatting have been
> fixed now. Please report any problems faced, and please suggest
> changes!  https://nikramakrishnan.github.io/freetype-site/ft2-toc

Have a look at

https://www.dxdy.ooo/freetype-site/ft2-color_management/index.html#ft_palette_xxx

The very long macro names make the left column of the `values' section
too small.  An immediate improvement would be to reduce the
indentation left of the left column.  On the other hand: Does CSS (or
JavaScript?) allow a different layout if the left-side entries are
very long?  For example, it could change to

    FOO_BAR_BAZ_FROBNICATE

      blablablaba bla blubb  bla bla blabla blablablaba  bla blubb bla
      bla blabla blablablaba bla blubb  bla bla blabla blablablaba bla
      blubb bla bla blabla

> * Next, I will start working on converting the FreeType website to
>   Markdown.  Here, we can use anything from Jekyll, Sphinx, MkDocs
>   etc.  Please suggest!

No suggestions from my side since I'm not acquainted with the tools,
so please proceed.