Re: [ft-devel] Browsing API docs locally, and other updates

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Browsing API docs locally, and other updates
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:47:34 +0530

They already have support for that. Using 'mkdocs serve' command you can
browse website locally.

'mkdocs serve' is used to browse the docs on a local server temporarily, this is
essentially a developer option that should not be used otherwise. We need a
static website that can be accessed from the file system without having to use
a localhost server.

* I have considered alternatives like Jekyll and Sphinx:
    - Jekyll requires installing ruby to build the site. Not everybody has
    the time or patience to do this.

Jekyll doesn't require time to install. To build site using locally user have to
install bundler and using that Jekyll.

This is precisely the problem with using Jekyll for the API docs. Not everybody
has Ruby and bundler. On the other hand, Python comes preinstalled on most
Linux distributions, and running a recursive pip command from the makefile to
install all dependencies is easier.

Mkdocs is good, but if is going to separated documentation from other stuff
this(https://github.com/aksakalli/jekyll-doc-theme) jekyll theme could be used.

Thanks, will have a look at it :-)

--
Nikhil