Re: [ft-devel] [Doubt] About reading a font file to check for its driver

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Doubt] About reading a font file to check for its driver.
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 07:05:44 +0200 (CEST)

>> > Yep.
>
> Why hasn't this been included in FreeType uptil now?

Optimizing FreeType for speed hasn't shown this as a hot spot...

On the other hand, there wasn't much effort into this direction; I can
imagine that profiling experts find a lot of places where FreeType can
be made faster.  However, there must be a balance between readable
code and optimizations, and please always remember that for efficient
use FreeType output (i.e., outlines, metrics, etc.) must be cached as
much as possible.