Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Custom search functionality & Python3     compati

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Custom search functionality & Python3     compatibility of 'docmaker' (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 159, Issue 29)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:07:46 +0000 (UTC)

I wonder why all the python-savy people on the list haven't spoken up yet.
Python 2 and 3 compatibility is not either or: the python people provide
compatability modules for that, under the __future__ namespace. Typically you do

from __future__ import <stuff>

To make your python script compatible with both . The __future__ module is
available in python 2.6 onwards and more extensive in python 2.7, and is no-op
in python 3.

There are two such examples in ghostscript 's toolbin directory, the pxl*.py
scripts. (I made those changes a few years ago).

The typical python distribution also ships two scripts, 2to3 and 3to2, to
automatically migrate scripts or flag compatibility problems between python 2
and 3. And also, please read the documentation of the 2to3 module...

 Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:54:30 +0200
 (CEST)
 Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Custom
 search functionality & Python3