Re: [ft-devel] Time for a new FreeType release

From: Ken Sharp
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Time for a new FreeType release
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 15:46:28 +0100

At 09:09 01/04/2018 +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Folks,

I would like to do a new FreeType release within the next few weeks.
Is there anything that should be handled before doing so?

Hi Werner,

We're currently experiencing a problem with FreeType 2.9 in conjunction with Ghostscript. Some TrueType glyphs are rendering as if the hinting is broken, or points are being moved/dropped.

We haven't mentioned it yet because we intend to diagnose it ourselves and get back to you with an explanation and proposed solution, but the prospect of a release soon made me think I should at least tell you we see a problem....

I know Chris Liddell was hoping to get somewhere with debugging (or at least bisecting to the commit) this week. Chris is on vacation today but he may get back to you shortly.

If your projected timescale is later than this week that's probably OK for us. I hope we can at least isolate the problem this week and then you can decide whether to delay releasing until we can propose a good fix.

            Regards,

                    Ken Sharp