Re: [ft-devel] Contribution to freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Contribution to freetype
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 11:06:31 +0100 (CET)

>> If I understand you correctly, an application that uses DirectWrite
>> doesn't need `.compositeFont' files at all, right?  What happens
>> with applications that don't use DirectWrite?
>
> No, I don't think they have any value for DirectWrite.  If
> application is not using DirectWrite the only option left is GDI
> paired with Uniscribe, or .NET (WPF is also working through
> DirectWrite in modern versions).

OK.

>> AFAIK, Windows offers composite fonts in its font selection menu
>> like normal fonts...
>
> Where do you see this, and under what names are they listed?

I concluded this from a comment in `GlobalSerif.compositeFont':

  <!-- Faces to report in font chooser UI -->
  <FontFamily.FamilyTypefaces>
    [...]

Maybe I'm mistaken.  Note that the `xmlns' link in those XML files,

  http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/composite-font

is broken.  However, it contains the string `winfx', which is (or
was?) a .NET thing.

>> We are miscommunicating, I think.  I talk about taking a
>> `.compositeFont' file and use it as a font.  You are talking about
>> configurability of `.compositeFont' files, effectively overriding
>> its contents.
>
> I'm talking about data such files provide.  Assuming the idea was
> for freetype to read them directly, and interpret one way or
> another.

Yes, FreeType should be able read this sort of data.