[ft-devel] Questions related to current Documentation (and changes)

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: [ft-devel] Questions related to current Documentation (and changes)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 15:36:45 +0530

Hello,

I had a look at the gsoc project ideas, and am interested in "Convert FreeType's HTML documentation to markdown."

I had a look at the current docmaker at root/src/tools/docmaker and went through some of the code there.

What I understand:

The current docmaker processes the source, extracts the required data for documentation, and converts it into a readable format in HTML.

What the project expects:

Write code so that the documentation can also be generated in markdown, and be converted to HTML.

Am I right?

I have a few questions:

1) After this change, will the documentation be generated solely in markdown and later be converted to other formats?

2) Does this require a stylized markdown, or the basics (such as GFM)?

3) If (1) is true, will Pandoc be used to convert the docs to html for the website?

Oh, and I'd like to introduce myself here:

I'm a sophomore (2nd) year undergrad in Computer Science & Engineering at Bennett University, India. I have experience with programming in Python, C++. I have worked on a basic implementation of Natural Language Understanding in the form of a Windows Helper (Troubleshooter) as a part of my freshman year spring semester project.

I am super-excited, and interested in fields related to Software Engineering, Python and C/C++ Development, and I think this would be a great opportunity to contribute to this area.

My GitHub profile is at http://github.com/nikramakrishnan/,and Linkedin at https://www.linkedin.com/in/nikramakrishnan/

If you could also recommend any other projects that you think is suitable for me, I can start working on a proposal, and take your inputs and comments before submission.

I'm looking to forward to hearing back!

Thanks & Regards,
--
Nikhil Ramakrishnan.