Re: [ft-devel] Contribution to freetype

From: Parth Wazurkar
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Contribution to freetype
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 00:21:38 +0530

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Now after some time now after working on FreeType I am getting
> familiar with the code base.

Good.

> After studying the proposed projects I would like to work upon 'the
> integration of VFlib's TeX format drivers into FreeType' as my the
> GSOC project.  I am currently studying VFlib and trying to figure
> out its working.  Can you please help me how should I proceed
> further with the project.

Do you have any experience with TeX?  I forgot to mention in the GSoC
description that this is a strong recommendation.

I've just updated the information on

  https://www.freetype.org/gsoc.html

regarding the canonic references of the PK, GF, and VF font formats.
Please check again.

Regarding the implementation, you should have a look at bitmap drivers
already present in FreeType (`winfonts', `pcf', `bdf'; `winfonts' is
the simplest one).  Essentially, you have to implement the necessary
methods of the module's `FT_Driver_ClassRec' structure.

    Werner

I have worked with tex in some of my documentations, but I think I can work upon the tex document production system.
I'll now first get familiar with Tex Live and the canonicals of font formats.
Are there any other recommendations which I should follow?

Thank You

Regards
Parth