[ft-devel] Re Gone Redmond (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 152, Issue 2

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] Re Gone Redmond (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 152, Issue 24)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:14:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Alexei,

There is a sort of bug for 64-bit windows in FT_StreamRec_ (
include/freetype/ftsystem.h, the size and pos fields ).
long is 32-bit on 64-bit windows (unlike unix), so the current code limits font
files
through the stream interface to 2GB/4GB . I know such beast font files don't
exist :-).
But it should be fixed at some point. When a fix happens, it will be a breaking
change
for people who currently use it.

As you might notice I regularly cross-compile freetype for windows the FontVal
backend.
The bug was discovered when I was reviewed somebody else's suggestion to
SharpFont (=C# binding to FreeType).
There is a patch, which had been discussed on and off. The purpose of the patch
is a bit
ugly, as it basically tries to pad the internal structure of freetype for
64-bit windows
so that it is more unix-like. Specifically, the difference in size of "long"
(it is 32-bit for 64-bit windows
but 64-bit for 64-bit unix). Just FYI.

FYI - these are the "collection of 64-bit windows ugly hacks" - probably
incomplete, and most of it certainly wrong to be applied to FreeType in general
- so please do NOT try to commit any of it:
https://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator/blob/master/freetype-win64-2.8.patch