[ft-devel] call for mac FontVal testers.

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] call for mac FontVal testers.
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 02:10:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

This message is mostly directed to Cosimo, but others are welcomed to have a
go, too.

I just uploaded FontVal-2.1.1-py-osxbin.tgz (and its gpg signature sig if you
are paranoid...) to:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hp-pxl-jetready/files/Microsoft%20Font%20Validator/misc/

Most of the other binaries are uninteresting... the main ones I would like
somebody with a mac to have a go
are these 4:

1) FontValidator-gcc , FontValidator-clang : for these two, please just test
whether "+raster-tests" does what it does. I think
both probably works correctly. I would likely ship FontValidator-clang
(replacing it as "FontValidator") if
it is confirmed that it works. There is no need to set any environment
variables, etc or put any files anywhere else.

2) FontVal-32 , FontVal-64 : I'd also like these two to run as they are without
messing
with environment variables, or putting libraries somewhere, but I suspect these
two
may not launch without setting DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH to the bundled "libs"
directory in the tarball. Also the -64 one may be worse in other aspects to do
with the GUI.
So those are the two things to watch out for.
Mac OS X is going pure 64-bit in a couple of releases later, -64 is the
direction thing has to go.
(the previous 2.0 release and everythng before for mac were 32-bit binaries).

This is also a rather different way of stuffing the "heavily customized
freetype" and "all the mono bits" into a single executable,
compared to how I made FontVal 2.0 run on the Mac a year ago.

If this bunch of binaries work, quite perversely, I can do it with
Debian/Ubuntu too, apparently, and get FontValidator to ignore
the system-wide freetype :-)...