Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Visualizing/organizing different rendering modes

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Visualizing/organizing different rendering modes
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 12:38:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Arvinder!

> This is something I wasn't sure about when dealing with different
> rendering modes.  Should the different modes be organized and
> displayed separately?  For example, if the glyphs were displayed
> side-by-side (to be compact vs. a list), the general idea
> (considering mono, antialiased and lcd) would be:
>
> Font X - Mono
> [A][A'] [B][B'] [C][C']... (organized by id in this case)
> Font X - Antialiased
> [A][A'] [B][B'] [C][C']... (organized by id in this case)
> Font X - LCD
> [A][A'] [B][B'] [C][C']... (organized by id in this case)
>
> In comparison to a collated option which would look something like:
>
> Font X
> [A mono][A mono'] [C LCD][C LCD'] [A LCD][A LCD'] [B antialiased][B
> antialiased']... (organized by difference in this case)
>
> Should there be an option to switch between them?

Honestly, I don't know yet.  I think we will know this as soon as
there is something to test in real life.  If possible, make everything
as configurable as possible and start with, say, two different views.

Maybe you can even provide high-level javascript functions (or
whatever) so that different views can be set up with just a few
functions?

Note that a great tool is blink comparison of images.