Re: [ft-devel] Requirement for the subscription of BSD-FreeType License

From: Werner LEMBERG
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 11:17:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hallo Jinattaporn!

> Regarding to the FreeType Project module, under BSD FreeType License
> that retained the copyright you are holding, [...]

The FreeType license is similar to BSD *plus* an advertising clause.

> 1. What is the properly sentence of copyright we need to describe in
> our work?  (As we have checked previously, either users described
> only short sentence or long sentence as full description.)

This is explicitly described in the license text, `FTL.TXT', for
example

  Portions of this software are copyright ©2017 The FreeType Project
  (www.freetype.org).  All rights reserved.

> 2. We want to make sure, where we can subscript your copyright?
>
> Specify as "in distribution document and/or all materials", for
> example if we produce a product, do we need to subscript your
> copyright on our product's display or only in our instruction manual
> document is enough?

This is also explicitly described in the license text...

  We suggest, but do not require, that you use one or more of the
  following phrases to refer to this software in your documentation or
  advertising materials: `FreeType Project', `FreeType Engine',
  `FreeType library', or `FreeType Distribution'.

In other words, it's sufficient to mention FreeType in your
documentation.