Re: [ft-devel] CFF: No hinting without vertical/horizontal hints?

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] CFF: No hinting without vertical/horizontal hints?
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 07:59:21 -0700

Hi Nikolaus,

I suppose this reduced form of hinting may be better than completely unhinted rendering. You'd be giving up hinting stems that are not in alignment zones, like the middle stem of 'E'. Also, you'd need some way to identify and locate the stems in an outline. In FreeType, there is a run-time auto-hinter that could do this. In normal CFF fonts, there is an auto-hinter that runs at font production time and records its output as a series of hstem and vstem declarations in the charstring. The production auto-hinter also recognizes and handles conflicting hints by partitioning complex glyphs into multiple hint zones, using the hintmask operator.

-Dave