Re: [ft-devel] Glyphs in this font cannot be loaded without FT_LOAD_NO_H

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Glyphs in this font cannot be loaded without FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 12:19:28 +0200 (CEST)

> I found glyphs in this font cannot be loaded without
> FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING.

*Please* don't send such big fonts to the list!  Instead, you should
provide a link.

Actually, I'm surprised that it was distributed by the list at all –
theoretically, I should have received a message that the e-mail is too
big...

> If FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING is not set, the FT_Load_Glyph will result in
> error code 0x86

FreeType is right.  The font doesn't contain a `cvt ' or `fpgm' table.
However, it contains a `prep' table.  This configuration is very
unusual but not invalid.

The bytecode in the `prep' table refers to function 0 (to be defined
in the `fpgm' table) which doesn't exist.  Consequently, FreeType
refuses to hint any further glyphs.