Re: [ft-devel] gasp table support

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gasp table support
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 18:14:35 -0700

No more states in the library please (ie. driver property).  Why not another load flag?

To me, what matters most is that bytecode is NOT run if the gasp says it shouldn't be run.

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is exactly the question.  Basically, using the `gasp' table is
> diametral to the FreeType API, where you select a mode how *all*
> fonts, regardless of their formats, should look like.  For example,
> if you select `smooth' rendering, it can be surprising if you
> suddenly get B/W rendering for some fonts at certain sizes.

I guess that's the price you pay for using the native hinter with its'
baked in history of Windows development. Another issue is that the gasp
table is programmed for a Windows environment and might yield
suboptimal results everywhere else. Remember how I was trying to make
the native hinter put out something that looked 'smooth' so I could add
the hinter to LIGHT mode?

You can limit support to the gridfit flags for starters (or switch to
autohinting for no-gridfir glyphs), that will always output
symmetrically smoothed grayscale glyphs like for all other scalable
formats ;)

> What about a TrueType driver property that switches `gasp' table
> handling on and off, with the default set to off?

That might work.