[ft-devel] Three GSoC students for FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Three GSoC students for FreeType
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 08:15:28 +0200 (CEST)

Ewald, Arvinder, Kushal,

welcome to FreeType!  Yesterday the accepted GSoC projects were
officially announced, and I'm looking forward to having three
motivated new members in our community.

Originally, we had four excellent proposals, but one student submitted
a proposal for another organization also and was taken in due course
before I tried to grab him.  This left us with three proposals for
three slots.  You may think: This fits exactly!  However, there were
problems: Both Arvinder and Kushal wrote proposals for exactly the
same project, namely `Developing a test framework for checking
FreeType’s rendering output'.  Team work is not allowed for GSoC
projects, so what to do?  I suggested to Google to split up this very
large project into two subprojects that don't overlap, and fortunately
Google accepted!  Consequently, we will set up the details how to
proceed within the next few days.

[There is no discussion what Ewald will do: He is going to add support
 for Type 1 fonts to FreeType's new CFF Engine.]

I ask you three to subscribe to the `freetype-devel' mailing list in
case you haven't already done so.  While you are `entitled' to
personal attention by your mentors (this is, me, Alexei, and Toshiya)
you are strongly encouraged to communicate in public as much as
possible so that other interested parties can chime in.  This means
especially that any discussion of actual tasks and challenges should
happen on the `freetype-devel' mailing list.

  All the best, and may the force be with you :-)

    Werner

PS: Kushal, how shall we call you?  What does `K S V S' mean?