Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode (Re: Freetype-devel Digest

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 148, Issue 2)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 00:57:39 +0000 (UTC)

fractional advance width: this seems to need more thought. If that's to be used
for the intended purpose, don't we need rendering modes with different
fractional offsets? i.e. let's say you want to lay out 'abc' . 'a' has a
fractional width. That means ideally we want to start 'b' on a fractional pixel
offset also? etc? So we want 3 diferent ways of rendering 'b', depending on
which fractional pixel we starts it with.

I think toggling hinting in ftview is supposed to change layout, since the
width changes (by up to a pixel on either side).