[ft-devel] New FontVal slides / State of Libre Graphics 2017 (Re: CREATE

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] New FontVal slides / State of Libre Graphics 2017 (Re: CREATE Digest, Vol 137, Issue 1)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 23:30:41 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

(I'll shorten further for "State of Libre Graphics 2017"...)

For a while, I have been thinking about updating the FontVal slides I gave my
talk last year, so it is just as well. I have dumped all that's changed in the
last 12 months in about 20 slides (about half of them just screenshots...) - in
no particular order:
http://htl10.users.sf.net/FontVal-LG2017.pdf

The 2nd half of which was some screenshots about hinting and rendering
difference of IE vs firefox, both on windows 7. It is a shorter/neater version
of http://htl10.users.sf.net/craphinting.pdf
I shared with some people a few weeks ago, about some crap hinting I saw on
windows machine with a partcular web site.

Last year in LG 2016 April, I had no idea how to continue and finish the
missing pieces - then in July, I released 2.0 - re-implemented the missing part
of GUI before that, and heavily patched freetype for the hinting check. Before
and after, python scripting happened - had a built-in IronPython interpreter in
May 2016, and the customized Freetype hinting diagnostics backend is accessible
from freetype-py with a python (CPython) based alternative command-line
frontend last month.

As far as the libre community goes, font reports for fedora 24 shipped fonts
were up at http://htl10.users.sf.net/tmp/FontVal-test-results-2016July/ . I'll
re-test around August on fedora 26 to see how libre fonts have improved, or
not. I hope to see some changes.

last year's was at:
http://htl10.users.sf.net/FontVal-LG2016.pdf

The 2nd half of FontVal-LG2017.pdf and the whole of craphinting.pdf are all
screenshots from windows. I see Microsoft tries a bit more on the OS side, and
also libre fonts tend not to do much about hinting; so one only sees
dramatically bad hinting on windows with IE; this seems to be a commercial font
vendor and non-libre OS's concern. OTOH, most people in the world are still
using windows...

Anyway, I am posting this early, because tomorrow and the next couple of days
is a big font event in Berlin (I am not going, but hope to generate some
discussion). I'll trim the slides and this e-mail down further for "State of
Libre  Graphics 2017".

Hin-Tak

 Message: 1