Re: [ft-devel] autohinter for LCD

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] autohinter for LCD
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 08:50:29 +0200 (CEST)

>> Uh, doesn't that just do "light" hinting on the x-axis?
>
> No, MONO is brutal.

I think you are misreading the code.  Stem snapping
(AF_LATIN_HINTS_HORZ_SNAP) is *not* mono!  This would be rather
AF_LATIN_HINTS_STEM_ADJUST.

AF_LATIN_HINTS_HORZ_SNAP is *slightly* adjusting the stem width by
using discrete values.  AF_LATIN_HINTS_STEM_ADJUST always snap to full
pixels.

> Have you ever wondered why the stem darkening works in LIGHT only
> and does not work with LCD?  The proposed fix is here:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?h=Harmony&id=e47feb03cca26b4c8c683f43821438001471597d

It might be useful to do first stem darkening and then stem snapping.
However, this needs investigation.  Simply switching off (discrete)
stem snapping is premature, I believe.