Re: [ft-devel] freetype-py python binding to FontVal's FreeType backend.

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype-py python binding to FontVal's FreeType backend. (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 146, Issue 17)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 19:40:40 +0000 (UTC)

 Message: 5
 Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 07:55:18 +0200 (CEST)
 From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
 Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype-py python binding to
 FontVal's
     FreeType backend.
> Indeed, because a zero value for the loop variable is *not*
 an
 error?:-)

I have added the friendly-message look-up table as well as allowing look-up to
fail, so to silence that one (or any other ones...) is as simple as, editing
freetype-py/freetype/ft_enums/fv_diag.py, comment out the two lines:

    '_rast_W_FT_VALUE_OUT_OF_RANGE_SLOOP' :
    [ 'W6020', 'Setting the loop variable to zero is an error' ],

    #'_rast_W_FT_VALUE_OUT_OF_RANGE_SLOOP' :
    #[ 'W6020', 'Setting the loop variable to zero is an error' ],

BTW, my first couple of patches to freetype-py got merged, and we got into a
discussion about what version of freetype API freetype-py aims at. Anyway,
freetype-py currently only hooks up 65 routines of freetype's, compared to
SharpFont's 191 . Freetype 2.7.1 AFAIC exports 193 routines while 2.6.5 does
190. ( see
https://github.com/rougier/freetype-py/pull/50#issuecomment-290502221 on how
the numbers are counted).

So there is a bit of work to expand freetype-py if people intend to use some of
the more obscure corners of freetype via python. OTOH, from my personal
experience with SharpFont, a lot of it was added blindly without
testing/use-case. I have had my fair share of
it-is-in-front-of-my-eyes-and-it-is-wrong scratch-my-head with SharpFont :-).

If you guys want to participate in, the main discussion thread of expanding
freetype-py to be more API-complete is likely at
https://github.com/rougier/freetype-py/issues/49