Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] ftinspect

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] ftinspect
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:23:14 +0200

> As far as gamma is concerned, it seems that Qt does not support the
> necessary blending calculations [1] that were implemented in the old
> utilities. So: Should the gamma blending work exactly the same as
> before (meaning that the blending code from gblender.c needs to be
> ported)?

I'm not familiar with Qt's painting system, does
QPainter::CompositionMode_SourceOver do any gamma correction? Or is
this what the bug report you referenced is about?

I think that since ftinspect is to be a reference application, it
should support both sRGB and pow()-based gamma curves. The sRGB curve
would be more correct as the default (almost everything you see on a
screen is supposed to be in sRGB color and gamma space), but reality
testing at Adobe suggests 1.8.

If Qt can't handle this out of the box, I guess you'd have to implement
custom pixel blending code anyway (custom composition mode?), might as
well take existing code then.