Re: [ft-devel] All glyphs in these two fonts are (Re: Freetype-devel Dig

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] All glyphs in these two fonts are (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 145, Issue 6)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:05:00 +0000 (UTC)

I can confirm that toggling hinting (pressing 'h') in ftview toggles glyph
viewing on/off also. So the hinting in those two fonts are indeed rather
broken. I'd like to have a look at the actual brokenness myself some times.

FontVal 2.0 had a 2.6.x backend, and should show a generic 'value too high'
error message for those two fonts - I hooked up all of FreeType's internal
diagnosis one way or another, and when there is no existing specific error code
from the old FontVal code base, one of the generic ones. The next substantial
FontVal update already uses a more specific message for that specific
brokenness problem.

On Thu, 9/2/17, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

 did wonder about that - the limit was dropped from 10000
 > instructions down to a heuristic value,
 than enlarged again.  It is
 > possible
 the heuristic value is still too low?

 Maybe, but not for those two fonts.

 > Is it truly recursing or
 just current limit too low?

 They contain

   JMPR -57

 or
 something like that, i.e., there is a backward jump in the
 bytecode
 stream without a condition to
 control it.