Re: [ft-devel] ftview version output issue

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ftview version output issue
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:28:03 +0100 (CET)

> compiling the ftdemo of version 2.7 as described in the readmes I
> have the following issue:
>
> Executing the following command in ../bin/
>
> $ ./ftview -v
>
> Outputs: ftview (FreeType) 2.7
>
> Executing the same command in ../bin/.libs/
>
> Outputs: ftview (FreeType) 2.6.3
>
> Do you know if I just compiled something wrong?

This looks ok, because...

> Or is the ftview wrapper script outputting the correct version and
> the executable not?

... the wrapper ensures that the right DLL version of FreeType gets
used.  If you call the binary in `.libs' directly, it uses the
system-wide FreeType DLL, which is obviously version 2.6.3.

You should read the info pages of `libtool' for more information.
Otherwise, you might consider static compilation of the library, than
all version issues are completely avoided.