Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:54:29 +0100

hello

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I would like to know the status freetype wrt harfbuzz. Actually, if
>> I'm not mistaken, one has to :
>>
>> 1) compile freetype without harfbuzz
>> 2) compile harfbuzz (freetype is hard dep iirc)
>> 3) compile freetype with harfbuzz
>
> Yes.  However, FreeType looks for its dependencies, so you only have
> to do
>
>   cd freetype; make && make install; cd
>   cd harfbuzz; make && make install; cd
>   cd freetype; make && make install; cd
>
> which is not rocket science.
>
>> Is there some improvements of that situation? (It has been a long
>> time since i followed freetype development)
>
> No.  It seems that people can live with the current situation.  A
> `solution' would either mean splitting harfbuzz into two separate
> libraries or duplicating a lot of harfbuzz code in FreeType.

or adding public functions in freetype which "copy/paste" the
functions in harfbuzz, and modify harfbuzz so that it uses these
functions. This will remove the circular dependency.

harfbuzz is released under the MIT license so i think it is possible
to borrow code from harfbuzz and use it in freetype, if I'm not
mistaken

Vincent Torri