Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 10:20:34 -0500

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 12:13 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Well, wouldn't it be easier to stop rounding to pixels integers
>>> instead if the hinting doesn't change the advance widths anyway?
>>
>> The bitmaps would be delivered to target surface at pixel integers
>> anyway whether you round advance or not.
>
> The bitmaps, yes, but we are talking about the possibility to shift
> glyphs by a call to `FT_Set_Transform', where the shift value is in
> the range [0;1] (or rather [-0.5;0.5]), and this call takes place
> *before* hinting, which is not possible current.

Rotation forfeits hinting, but you suggest that shifts would not.
Therefore the advance, rounded or not, is not sufficient to control
spacing. You need the bearing deltas anyway. The deltas can be based
on either rounded or linear values. It does not matter, but we should
be consistent and historically those were based on rounded values. No?