Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:47:45 +0200 (CEST)

> ```
>     scaler.face    = face;
>
>     scaler.x_scale = size->metrics.x_scale;
>
>     scaler.x_delta = 0; /* XXX: TODO: add support for sub-pixel hinting */
>     scaler.y_scale = size->metrics.y_scale;
>
>     scaler.y_delta = 0; /* XXX: TODO: add support for sub-pixel hinting */
>

>     scaler.render_mode = FT_LOAD_TARGET_MODE( load_flags );
>
>     scaler.flags       = 0;  /* XXX: fix this */
> ```
>
> What exactly is this subpixel hinting and what is needed to support
> it?

Good question.  I guess it means that hinting support should be added
for glyphs where the origin is not positioned at an integer pixel
value.

> What about the flags needs to be fixed?

I no longer remember, sorry.

> ```
> #ifdef FT_OPTION_AUTOFIT2
>
>       /* XXX: undocumented hook to activate the latin2 writing system */
>       if ( load_flags & ( 1UL << 20 ) )
>
>         options = AF_STYLE_LTN2_DFLT;
>
> #endif
> ```
>
> Is this used in any capacity?

No.  However, please don't touch it; it's a constant remainder to
finally check the code in aflatin2.c :-)

> ```
>             /* for mono-width fonts (like Andale, Courier, etc.) we need */
>             /* to keep the original rounded advance width; ditto for     */
>             /* digits if all have the same advance width                 */
> [...]
> ```
>
> Why is this ifdef'ed out?

I can't remember.  Maybe you can find out more with `git blame'.

> Why is the second block below that ifdef'ed out?

Same answer.

> Can they be removed?

Probably yes.