Re: [ft-devel] Minor modification of `FT_Outline_Check'?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Minor modification of `FT_Outline_Check'?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:12:14 +0200 (CEST)

> Is this about fonts with a glyf table that has glyphs with
> numContours set to zero, instead of the glyph data being 0-lengthed?
> If yes, then that is NOT illegal.  Quoting the spec:
>
> SHORT numberOfContoursIf the number of contours is greater than *or equal
> to zero*, this is a single glyph; if negative, this is a composite glyph.
>
> https://www.microsoft.com/typography/OTSPEC/glyf.htm
>
> How is a empty glyph represented?  Too lazy to check.

It boils down to whether `FT_Outline_Decompose' should return success
for empty glyphs.  After the discussion here and some private e-mail
exchanges I'm now rather convinced that the answer is yes – mainly
because `FT_Outline_Check' accepts the empty glyph also.

I'll add a note that users have to filter out empty outlines if
necessary.