Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] "Inside the fastest font renderer in the world"
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 10:00:54 +0200 (CEST)

> I might take a look at it, but no guarantees about my availability.

Thanks for the offer anyway :-)

> I would convert it into C++, not C; C++ is a better fit, and there
> is really no point in using C these days.

I disagree.  As far as I know, there are still embedded systems that
don't have a C++ compiler (and probably never will).  Given that
everything in FreeType is C, it would be a severe complication if just
a single file becomes C++.  In other words, I would have to convert
your C++ code in C, which means double work...

As an alternative, there is

  https://github.com/uwplse/crust

a Rust-to-C compiler – has anyone tried this?  I don't know whether it
produces code which runs as fast as the Rust equivalent.  If this
works reliably, I could imagine to have both a Rust source file and
its translation in the FreeType git repository.  Unfortunately,
`crust' needs a huuuge set of preliminaries...