Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows

From: Akira TAGOH
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 10:55:00 +0900

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Behdad Esfahbod
<address@hidden> wrote:
> If I may chime in: fontconfig does indeed specify rendering options.  Werner
> is right that fontconfig itself does not prepare the FT_Face or rendering,
> and that is a problem, because our means adding any new config options to
> fontconfig requires updating all clients.  But fundamentally I think it
> makes sense adding "ft-parameters" to fontconfig, the same way that lcd
> filter is set for example.

I'm not sure if it is/was a good way to have, because it sometimes
confuses it could applies per fonts/FT_Face, despite it is applicable
per FT_Library. maybe fontconfig should improve something to have a
global parameter rather than providing them as in FcPattern.

That said, there are still a problem how those are used is up to
applications. we may need an upper-layered fundamental and lightweight
library to wrap them up and provide proper functionality to
applications.