Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 21:37:04 +0200 (CEST)

>>I don't know of any other way than recompiling. Fontconfig doesn't
>>support the property and likely won't as it isn't a font-property
>>but something that affects all TrueType fonts. Cairo/Qt would need
>>to go along with it, too.
>
> Strange thing about this is, that gtk2 program and qt5 program
> windows don't explode, [...]

They probably use a statically linked FreeType library.

> I do also understand fontconfig is separate mechanism, and you are
> telling me there is no way of this getting solved in "their domain",
> so to speak?

Correct.  Fontconfig's job is *not* to define or set up the rendering
of a font but to provide information on fonts and what capabilities
they have.

>>   FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35 \
>>                       cff:no-stem-darkening=1 \
>>                       autofitter:warping=1
>
> In my opinion this would be great solution

OK, will try that soon.

> Shouldn't thus envvar in question be named 'FT2_PROPERTIES'?

Maybe, but `FREETYPE' is more meaningful than `FT2' for the common
man, I guess :-)