[ft-devel] updated patch for 2.6.4 Re: proposed patch for diagnostics (R

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] updated patch for 2.6.4 Re: proposed patch for diagnostics (Re: implementing detection of hinting/rasterization errors in fonts)
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 00:09:45 +0000 (UTC)

Here is the updated patch for 2.6.4 - there are some minor collisions with the
new subpixel hinting  mode.

while updating the diff I looked into the global variable issue. Putting the
diagnostic messaging pointer inside TT_Face is fairly straight forward, and it
isn't too hard to do it per TT_Face, which is even better than per FT_Library.
However

- diagnostics on parallel threads seem a bit of over-design - most people are
unlikely ever to test multiple faces in parallel. Testing on single face is
demanding enough - did I mention that it took about 5 days of CPU time to run
the MS 2003 binary through the MS shipped fonts in win 8.1?

- extracting the face handle and passing it back increases the complexity of
the C<->C# interface. Before implementing the rasterization test, I have relied
on SharpFont ( https://github.com/Robmaister/SharpFont ) to handle the C<->C#
interaction. And I have enhanced SharpFont on the way as needed. The current
change by-passes SharpFont. I do not want to spend time increasing the
complexity of what's really a temporary by-pass.

Anyway, you or others are welcomed to improve the patch. I'm going to start
packaging after this e-mail, and hope to release the next Font Val (with a
patched freetype 2.6.4 backend) in the next few days.