Re: [ft-devel] implementing detection of hinting/rasterization errors in

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] implementing detection of hinting/rasterization errors in fonts
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 21:07:08 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I had a look at the other errors showed by analysing win8.1 shipped fonts with
the 2003 binary,
and updated "https://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator/issues/5"; with some
details. Anyway, the summary is this:

Out of the 7 kinds of errors/warnings that the 2003 binary can find with win
8.1 shipped fonts, 1 is bogus (the MS 2003 binary being buggy),
5 freetype already detects and silently works around (2 have an "XXX
undocumented") - adding a "emit a loud message when this happens" for each of
those is fairly straight-forward, 1 of the 7 I haven't figure out how to do.

The one I haven't figured out how to do is "INSTCTRL not called from
pre-program" . Obviously I as a person, know whether I am processing fpgm or
the glyph proper. Is there a flag within the byte-code interpreter's context
that says "currently processing fpgm" ? I assume it is somewhere inside.

The other quick question - where in freetype does it keeps track that the
current glyph is a composite glyph? I am sure it is somewhere, and probably not
too important (just the glyph id is useful enough to get font designers to go
fix things...), but the ms 2003 binary's output message includes "composite
glyph id x" vs "glyph x", so it would be nice to do that too.

Hin-Tak