Re: [ft-devel] Supersampling of TrueType fonts, or: slight native hintin

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Supersampling of TrueType fonts, or: slight native hinting
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 14:57:56 +0200

I think I'm on to something. There's another way: MIRP is commonly used to modify the width of a stem, using the previously grid-fitted point/edge of the other side of the stem as the reference. The attached patch preserves the original width of the stem if the reference point was previously modified or is/was sitting on the baseline. This instantly gives fonts a very 'slight' appearance.

https://postimg.org/image/os3gnifch/full/
(left to right: vanilla v40 hinting, v40 with the above patch, autohinter)

The results aren't perfect and DejaVu's hinting breaks, but it might be a first step.