Re: [ft-devel] [ftgrid] Display rendered bitmap (new feature).

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [ftgrid] Display rendered bitmap (new feature).
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 12:48:26 +0100 (CET)

> https://postimg.org/image/813nfoxgd/full/
>
> Left: no hinting
> Right: standard hinting (CFF -> linear advance widths).
>
> Note how the right boundary line is snapped to the grid when it
> shouldn't have moved.  Also happens with .ttfs.

Hmm.  Running `FT2_DEBUG=any:7 ftgrid ...' on Cantarell-Regular.otf
shows for glyph index 34 (`A')

    x advance: 640
    y advance: 0
    linear x advance: 638584
    linear y advance: 1409289

using the Adobe CFF driver, and

    x advance: 624
    y advance: 0
    linear x advance: 638584
    linear y advance: 1409289

if unhinted.  Currently, I have no time to hunt down the exact place
where the x advance width gets changed.  Volunteers, please :-)