Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and stem darkening

From: Derek B. Noonburg
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and stem darkening
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:42:11 -0800 (PST)

On 2016 Jan 18, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> I didn't trace through the code; do I need to do anything special
>>> to enable those checksum tests?
>>
>> Assuming that the family name for subsetted fonts in PDF files is
>> not reliable, you should temporarily set `face->family_name' to NULL
>> so that the check for the font's family name is skipped, making the
>> trickyness check rely on table checksums only.
>
> Uh, oh, this isn't a helpful answer at all, sorry – you can't do that
> before FreeType has loaded the face.  To make `FT_Open_Face' skip the
> family name test, I would have to add an FT_PARAM_TAG_TRICKY_CHECKSUMS
> flag.  This is not a big deal, but I wonder whether it really solves
> your issue, so please do some experiments.

I don't think that's necessary.  The FreeType code appears to always
look at the checksums if the name doesn't match, which is sufficient
for my use.

(I guess there's a possibility that the tricky mode would be enabled
unnecessarily if someone renamed a font so that it just happened to
match one of the known-tricky names.  But that seems really unlikely.)

- Derek