Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter as a front-end for the CFF hinting engine?

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter as a front-end for the CFF hinting engine?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 14:50:49 +0100

This is something that I would like to see as well.  My motivations are
different: to enable applying TrueType GX font variation to CFF outlines, then
hinting them.

Huh. From the TrueType engine? Oh, are you working on a secret project to have both cubic and conic curves in one file? :D

It definitely is.  However, there's an alternative approach I've been talking
about: take the Adobe autohinter from AFDKO and plant it into FreeType.

Does the AFDKO autohinter support the same scripts as the current autohinter, including the complex scripts Werner has been working on recently? Is it suitable for almost-realtime hinting?