Re: [ft-devel] rendering mode of Firefox on Windows 10

From: Nikolay Sivov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] rendering mode of Firefox on Windows 10
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 21:21:22 +0300

On 05.11.2015 21:15, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Just tried that in a VM, and yes, your test page reports version 37,
compatible ClearType, no symmetrical smoothing.

Thanks for testing.  How comes that Alexei reports something different
on an *older* Windows version?  Note that on browserstack, both Chrome
and Edge use a version 40 engine...

Exactly same Firefox build, clean install with defaults settings gets me engine 40 with all features switched on, on Windows 7 SP1.

Don't know if it's important at all, but this line renders differently on Chrome with disabled DirectWrite (that gives engine 37), comparing to fresh Firefox installation (with engine 40):

---
The current PPEM value used in this paragraph (‘0’):
---

Version 37 shows 18, while version 40 shows 00018.

By the way, is there a way to enable any of that in freetype?  I
know I can set engine version to 38, does it mean a set of
parameters will be applied and there's no way to switch dynamically
from one to another?

Correct.

E.g. enable symmetrical smoothing per render call, not per library.

No, this is not possible.  Additionally, FreeType has never supported
non-symmetrical smoothing.

Noted.