Re: [ft-devel] /Fd flag for MSVC doesn't work for Ninja generator

From: David Capello
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] /Fd flag for MSVC doesn't work for Ninja generator
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:07:17 -0300

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> Some time ago I tried to compile freetype using cmake and Ninja
> makefiles (https://martine.github.io/ninja/).
>
> Anyway the following lines in the main CMakeLists.txt file made it
> impossible:
>
>   if (MSVC)
>     set_target_properties(freetype PROPERTIES
>     COMPILE_FLAGS /Fd"$(IntDir)$(TargetName).pdb")
>   endif ()
>
> After running cmake -G Ninja, I received the following error running
> ninja:
>
>   ninja: error: build.ninja:9506: bad $-escape (literal $ must be
>                 written as $$)

It looks like either these two variables have to be specified
explicitly on the cmake command line, or some other cmake include file
is missing that automatically sets them up...

FYI commenting those lines I've just compiled freetype with ninja, nmake makefiles,
vs2013, and vs2015 solutions. (Also I'm using a personal branch to compile
it as a submodule in one of my projects here:
https://github.com/aseprite/freetype2/commit/afe0a4d7063f66614c97d3a5bce09dcbfb1f92b5
and I didn't receive bug reports about it)

As a side note, I've used cmake on several projects and I've never
specified the /Fd flag. But it might be required in this project, or for a
specific cmake version, I really don't know.