Re: [ft-devel] Font that freetype doesn't want to open

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Font that freetype doesn't want to open
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 13:32:18 +0900

Dear Albert,

As
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/otff.htm#otttables
says, hmtx is "required" table for self standing font.

Also
https://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/font/5012.Type42_Spec.pdf
says, hmtx is "required" table for Type42 embedded font in
PostScript, and it is also required by CIDFontType2 in PDF, too.
(see
http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdf_reference_1-7.pdf
p.468).

However, I don't know how Adobe Reader handles a PDF
including such font.  Yet I'm not sure whether FreeType2
should care, or, poppler should, but, if Adobe Reader opens
it without any font substitution, some fallback should
be considered.  Where can I obtain a sample PDF?

Regards,
mpsuzuki