Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:24:16 +0200 (CEST)

>> You want a *global* stem width for all scripts within a font?  I'm
>> not sure whether this is a good idea.
>
> Uh, I thought that's how it works for Postscript and OpenType/CFF
> fonts? I'm only aware of the (face-)global dict with a face-wide
> stdVW.

Normal Type1 fonts work like that.  CFF, on the other hand, can have
different stdVW values for subfonts – and large, high-quality CJK
fonts like HiraKakuPro contain *a lot* of subfonts:

  <FontName value="HiraKakuPro-W3-Alphabetic"/>
  <StdVW value="77"/>
  <FontName value="HiraKakuPro-W3-Dingbats"/>
  <StdVW value="69"/>
  <FontName value="HiraKakuPro-W3-DingbatsRot"/>
  <StdVW value="64"/>
  <FontName value="HiraKakuPro-W3-Generic"/>
  <StdVW value="40"/>
  <FontName value="HiraKakuPro-W3-HKana"/>
  <StdVW value="63"/>