Re: [ft-devel] Autoconf's checking of size of xxx should not be used wit

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autoconf's checking of size of xxx should not be used with multiarch-at-once compiler
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 07:01:50 +0100 (CET)

> 1) What is "multiarch-at-once"?  [...]
>
> Although astute developers would not use this technique for
> Autoconf'ed software because of the inconsistency of Carbon APIs,
> there are so many developers using this technique because (they
> expect as) the pitfalls by the inconsistency are not so frequent.

I think those `pitfalls' are more frequent than you believe...  For
example, it is currently not possible to build HarfBuzz in
multi-architecture mode due to a bug in libtool (which hasn't been
fixed even in the latest release, I think).  The same is true for
ttfautohint.  I had to use `lipo' instead...

> However, "broken but use" is confusing message. How
> should I change it?

Perhaps it is better to abort for this case also?  Emitting a more
verbose message certainly helps.