[ft-devel] freetype on mac os X question/curious comments.

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] freetype on mac os X question/curious comments.
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 06:47:13 +0000

Hi Werner,

I seem to recall that you don't have much access to Mac OS X; nonetheless, I wonder if you have an idea what's the context of two curious comments in some source code I came across with (it is the cairo bridge code in R, if you want to know).

This concerns Mac OS X's shipping version of freetype - it has
two comments about broken index, and also swapped styles.

==================
                /* some FreeType versions have broken index support,
                   fall back to index 0 */
                if (!FT_New_Face(ft_library,
                                 (const char *) file, index, &face) ||
                    (index && !FT_New_Face(ft_library,
                                           (const char *) file, 0, &face))) {
                    FcFontSetDestroy (fs);

#ifdef __APPLE__
                    /* FreeType is broken on OS X in that face index
                       is often wrong (unfortunately even for Helvetica!)
                       - we try to find the best match through enumeration.
                       And italic and bold are swapped */
                    if (style == 2) style = 1; else if (style == 1) style = 2;
                    if (face->num_faces > 1 &&
                        (face->style_flags & 3) != style) {
                        FT_Face alt_face;
                        int i = 0;
                        while (i < face->num_faces)
                            if (!FT_New_Face(ft_library,
                                             (const char *) file,

The background is just that I will at some point attempt to rebuild that
bridge with up-to-date version of freetype, and wonder if it is important.

Hin-Tak