Re: [ft-devel] couple of new issues with 2.5.1

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] couple of new issues with 2.5.1
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:44:40 +0000 (GMT)

------------------------------
On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 11:30 GMT Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> 'make devel' does debug mode?
>
>Yes.  I have forgotten to test compilation of the demo programs in
>non-debug mode, sorry.
>
>I've now fixed the issue (which was non-trivial).  Thanks to all
>reporters, please test.

Thanks. Now it does build in release mode.

I just had a quick look at the pkg-config thread you referenced.
The fedora cross-compiling framework works just like Behdad suggested;
just on a system-wide level rather than on a per-user level.
It sets PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR to a different sysroot, and causes pkg-config
to read *.pc files from a different sysroot altogether and ignore the host's.

So one way of dealing with the libpng-enabled cross-freetype is just to derive
LIBPNG_CFLAGS and LIBPNG_LDFLAGS from pkg-config when cross-compiling.

How about something like this? : not a diff, just code snipplet

------------------
elif test ${cross_compiling} = yes; then
       #try using pkg-config to derive those values
       if test -z "$PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR"; then
              LIBPNG="`pkg-config libpng --libs`"
              LIBPNG_CFLAGS="`pkg-config libpng --cflags`"
              LIBPNG_LDFLAGS="`pkg-config libpng --ldflags`"
       else
      AC_MSG_ERROR([`libpng-config' should not be used in cross-building;
either set the LIBPNG_CFLAGS and LIBPNG_LDFLAGS or PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
environment variables,
or pass `--without-png' to the `configure' script.])
       fi
else
... <<<<libpng-config based settings.>>>
if

It is slightly better than using $LIBPNG_CONFIG, since $PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
is documented as part of how pkg-config behaves.

What do you think?

Hin-Tak