Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 10:02:41 -0800

You are correct that gamma 2.2 is a better approximation to sRGB. I agree with
using that gamma for large area regions. But there are two reasons why I prefer
gamma 1.8 for text.

The first is something I call "effective gamma". We first encountered this back
in the era of CRT displays. Unlike image data, text is mostly edges. The area covered by
stems is on the order of a pixel wide. If you look at text as a video signal, it is very
high frequency—often close to the limit of the display device. Rather than seeing a
vertical stem as a perfect square wave, the video electronics tend to round it off and
reduce its amplitude slightly. Both of these effects move the active signal closer to the
middle of the gamma curve, where the curve is flatter. This has the effect of reducing
the gamma at high frequencies. Everything in the signal path contributes to this. Even
video cables could make a significant difference in the appearance of text. I know less
about the electronics in an LCD but, empirically, the effect seems to still be present.

The second reason is that not all text rendering systems are able to provide
the stem darkening technology to compensate for the loss of contrast at small
sizes. This is particularly challenging, given the way that TrueType hints
work. For example, both Windows XP and Android chose gamma 1.4 as a default for
text blending. It's not as accurate as a higher gamma, but it doesn't lose as
much contrast as gamma 2.2. So, designing for gamma 1.8 rather than 2.2 will
work better if the system gamma turns out to be 1.4.

Both of these arguments pertain mostly to grayscale antialiasing. For subpixel
rendering, I agree that you will see more color fringing at 1.4. Some people
are more sensitive to this than others. I know several people who never could
get used to ClearType on Windows XP.

-Dave